Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Blast from the Past.....















Often we are asked how we got started making Miniature Dolls ... and what were the first characters... ?? Well... in going through a lot of photos and files lately I am running into all sorts of little 'Blasts from the Past'... and this is one of them.... our very first Miniature Dolls.

We were commissioned back in 1995 to create various 'Railroad Characters' for a collector and friend Rod Johnston . He had this great idea of building a Beautiful Train Station and a working 1" Scale Railroad on his Property in Canada... with working platform, Trains, tracks etc... the only thing he was lacking were the People to inhabit the highly detailed setting. So Rod (who was a collector of our larger dolls) asked if we would be interested in creating the 1:12th scale miniature Train Dolls for him....

Hmmmmmm let me think.... Do I think it MIGHT be possible to convince Richard to do ANYTHING Train related...hmmmmm...might have to really twist his arm ...YEAH RIGHT!!!! Richard was Entirely Crazy about the idea and said YES YES YES...never mind the fact that we had never made anything at this point under 10 inches!!! As I have mentioned many times before here in this blog..."We love a Challenge"!!

So we taught ourselves how to scale down and think really small...that included sculpting, clothing, shoes, accessories ...the whole ball of wax...GULP!! Talk about on the job training..(no Pun Intended!!) But in truth...we knew we could do it before we even started ...we just wanted to do it well. He started with 8 Characters ...we did one a month ...in-between our regular Bigger Doll Commissions...bouncing from Big to small was interesting in itself...in the end, Richard and I agreed that creating Small was so fun. We started to create Bigger dolls with 'smaller' dolls, puppets, babies etc.... things were growing smaller in our studios.... but to this point we still were not making 1:12th scale dolls to sell in shows or even advertise that we were making. Then some time later we received more commissions...for Wizards and Witches (something close to my heart) ... it was at that point that we made the turn to miniatures. Although we still create Bigger Doll Settings through commissions...primarily our focus these days are more geared towards miniatures.

The Photos above were taken by Rod and have been featured in magazines as well as a Video. Our characters were An Engineer, Conductor, Car Tonk,Brakeman, Hobo, Elderly waiting passenger, Red Cap, Attractive Passenger, a Traveling Anvil Salesman. Richard also made the luggage cart that the Red Cap is pushing and suitcases.

This was a joy to create...and we Thank Rod each day for giving us the 'directional push' into the Wonderful World of Miniatures....

Happy Wednesday All...

Jodi and Richard

36 comments:

Ara said...

Love love LOVE the old lady waiting!!! Now I'm gonna have to sit and figure out how I got here...hmmm.... -ara

Marie S said...

It is strange the paths that lead to where we are at.
Little nudges and pushes in one direction and shoves in the other.
Such a beautiful description of that. Thank you for sharing your blast from the past.
When I met you, you were making the bigger dolls but the details were so small, that was amazing too.
Have a GREAT day!

Judy C said...

I always enjoy hearing about your dolls. The pics are terrific.

Unknown said...

Oh, how wonderful! The characters are so in keeping with the train station . . . it's just so well, wonderful! LOL!!

I love the little lady sitting on the bench . . . looks like she's had a rough day! LOL!!

Thanks so much for sharing this incredible work of art!

Whittaker's Miniatures said...

What a fabulous scene Jodi, great characters. I keep finding pics of your dolls from way back going through old magazines! I can instantly tell which are yours, its fun going back on old 'makes'. Kate and John xx

Tallulah Belle said...

Oh how cool...I love it.

My uncle has a huge layout like this but no 'real' people.

I can't decide if I like the newspaper seller or the hobo the best.

Off to check out Rods website now too :-)

julie campbell said...

This is so brilliant Jodi, I love all the characters, they are all so unique and look as if they each have a story to tell, My favourite is the old lady waiting, she looks like she is really looking forward to the trip !
julie xx

Debbie said...

How lovely to find these photographs. What a beautiful setting for your fantastic creations.
Love the Tramp can just imagine him hiding away on the train getting a free ride. Thanks for sharing these with us.. xx

rosanna said...

Incredible set and dolls! I love the tramp, he looks so interested in other people's doing and in the next arrival. But each one of them is a little human being in mini! you are great

Wendie-kins said...

what a wonderful blast from the past it is too! I love all of them and its a great scene. I only discovered miniatures a few years years ago so have never seen these before - thank you so much for sharing this with us :o)

Light and Shadow Studio said...

Those were you're first miniature dolls??? It just goes to show what talented artists you are. they are perfect! Tammy

Creager Studios said...

Hi Ara...

The little lady is my fav as well...reminds me of my grandma...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Marie...

You are so right... we all encounted so many little pushes and nudges along lifes pathway... it is like Lifes Roadmap...I have really enjoyed the trip.

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Judy...

So happy you liked the pictures...they were fun to find...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Teresa...

The little lady on the bench does look like she has quite a story to tell....she also has a cherry pie in her 'trip' basket...truly!

Hugs

Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Kate and John...

I keep doing that too... sometimes though...I don't recoginize our work right away...and think for a sec...wow, that looks so familiar!! LOL...DUH!!!
Thanks for the sweet words...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Jayne...

Richard is SUCH a Train Junkie... this stuff is right up his alley. Actually the guy with the newspaper is the anvil salesman (kind of a joke) and he is reading the paper while the Red Cap 'bumps' him slightly with the baggage cart while flirting with the attractive woman... I always have to add a story somewhere...LOL

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Julie...

I think the little lady is very happy to be heading out on her trip...probably to see her kids or grandkids...or maybe that trip to the shore that she has always meant to take... she has 'goodies' for the trip in her basket...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Debbie...

Lady with the BEAUTIFUL Horsie babies... I think of them often.

Thanks for the kind words... The Hobo is ready to head out...and I think the little woman will share some of her 'pie' with him...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Rosanna...

Yes...I think the little Hobo is checking everything out....and is hoping for a slice of that little elderly ladies pie that she is stashing in her trip basket...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Wendie...

Aren't Mins just the Best...I wonder what I ever did for all those years before finding them...

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Tammy...

Ah shucks and blush blush.... thak you so much for your kind and caring words...

Hugs,
Jodi

MiniKat said...

You made those dolls!?! I've always wondered! I've loved them ever since I saw them in a magazine featuring the entire layout. Fantastic!!!!

Creager Studios said...

Hi Kat...

WOW...you saw them in the mag...cool! I was trying to remember which issue it was, spent about an hour today rifling through old magazines...
So happy you like them..Rod's layout is fantastic!

Hugs,
Jodi

dollproject said...

These are quite magical. Love the history too :].

My elementary school teacher was friends with miniaturists Noel & Pat Thomas--they came and demonstrated miniatures in our classroom when I was about 8 and I was forever hooked after that. Funny how 'miniature' comes out of nowhere and attacks you.

Cody Goodin said...

I am a big fan of your work. Love the miniatures and the stories behind them. Thank you for sharing their stories.

LDWatkins said...

Oh, what a fun story! Isn't it amazing how we get from there to here? Delightful. Thanks for sharing.

Nicky CC said...

what a wonderful track to follow! Pure eye candy! :) I just love all the wonderful characters! You and Richard are SOOOOO talented!

Christopher A. Klingler said...

FABULOUS from the very beginning!

It's fun how the progression of pictures almost look like scenes from a movie.

TGIF & enjoy your weekend!

SpOOky CK (-:

Vicky Guile said...

My hubby... "now that is cool"
me... "it certainly is"
hubby... "you know I don't have any people to go with my trains"
me... "buy some little plastic ones"
hubby... "but it wouldn't be the same"
me... "I think 1:12 people would be a little too big for your trains sweetie"
hubby... "I need bigger trains"

and so the saga continues :o)))

xxx

Creager Studios said...

Hi Jessica...

Sorry to be MIA....looooong story. Anyway...VERY cool that you were exposed to miniatures in your youth...a wonderful amount of time to fall madly and deeply in love!

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Cody....

So very nice to meet you...thanks so much for the kind remarks.... and welcome.

Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi LD...

Sorry to be MIA...been up to my keyster in 'things'.
So glad you enjoyed the pictures..

Hugs
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Nicky...

Wow...thank you so much....so happy you are liking the 'little people'

Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Chris...

Sorry to be MIA...I have had a multitude of 'Stuff' on my plat this ending week and weekend...UGH!!

Wow...wish it could be a little movie...but then that's another passion...stop motion stuff...wish I could get into it...but I just admire from afar...with the background "OooOooO's and AhhHHhhHh's"

Hugs,
Jodi

Creager Studios said...

Hi Vicky....

LOVE you 'conversation' with your hubby...toooooo funny...and sounds VERY FAMILIAR!! LOL....

Glad your hubby like the little train folk....

Hugs,
Jodi